I see suffer a number of IBS sufferers with tension or pain under the ribcage, particularly in the centre, just under the sternum.
You may experience this in a number of ways: feeling uncomfortable or even bloated in that area, experiencing an annoying pulling sensation, or feeling full even if you haven’t eaten.
I came across this tool a short while ago. It was presented by a singing teacher to open up breathing and be a better singer (!) However, I’ve found it to be a really useful tool for releasing tension under the diaphragm and relieving pain under the ribcage.
And it could get YOU some temporary relief!
So, ready to give it a whirl?
How to relieve pain under the ribcage
This exercise is really quick and simple to do, but you need to be on your own to do it. It takes just a couple of minutes and you should immediately feel some benefit.
1. Mentally try to feel how tense or uncomfortable you feel here. Give that a number from 1-10, 1 being the lightest, and 10 being the worst or strongest feeling.
Don’t waste time wondering if you got it right. The first number that came into your head will be the right one.
2. Take in a deep but comfortable breath into that area. If you put your hand just under your diaphragm you will feel it protrude as you take in the breath.
3. Hold your breath for the count of four.
4. Let the air out slowly as if you are letting air out of a balloon, making a light hissing “sssssss” sound (like a snake) as you do so. Do this until you have let all the air out.
5. Do this 2 – 3 times as needed.
6. Lastly, mentally zoom into how you now feel on a scale of 1-10. Have you experienced any improvement?
That’s it. Short and sweet.
No it won’t cure your IBS, but it should give you some welcome temporary relief from tension or pain under the ribcage – and put you in a better mood.
And that’s worth having!
It’s free, and easy to do. So why not try it out for yourself?
Let me know if you find this useful. I’d be really pleased to here from you:)
If you’re looking for other smart things you can do to release tension in your body, try this too.1